2019-2021 Board of Directors: Available Positions and Job Descriptions
Nominations: October 16, 2018 Election: November 13, 2018
First Event: December 4, 2018 First BOD Meeting: January 8, 2019 Noon-1:30PM
First General Meeting: January 15, 2019 2016 KBOA Bylaws2019 Meeting Dates and Events Calendar
The Kirkwood Business Owners' Association also known as KBOA was established in 2007 to promote growth, stability and profitability of the Kirkwood Business District. Kirkwood is bound on the north by DeKalb Avenue, on the south by Memorial Drive and Interstate 20, on the west by Montgomery Street, and on the east by 1st Avenue.
TERM: January 2019-January 2021
- 2 year term
- 11 seats total
- 2 open seats on the Executive Committee
- 2 open chair seats
- 2 open committee seats
CALL FOR NOMINEES:
Secretary (1) Executive Committee
NOMINEE: CANDACE McCOULLOUGH Atlanta Clay Works
I was born in South Georgia and have a degree in Music and Foreign Language Education. I was a German teacher for 30 years in public schools and most recently part-time lecturer of German at Georgia Tech. I currently live in Ormewood Park and have been a ceramist for almost 30 years. I've been with Atlanta Clay works since 2005, and assumed the role of treasurer in 2014.
- Keeps meeting minutes for both the BOD and general body meetings. Coordination with Director for distribution to the general body.
- Familiar with Google Drive is a plus! Minutes are taken on the Agenda on a Google Doc.
- Secretary signs the by-laws and manages any amendments.
- Holds fiduciary responsibilities.
Treasurer (1) Executive Committee
NOMINEE: JOSH BENNETT: Bennett Accounting Services
Graduated in 2010 with a double major in finance and accounting from Georgia State University. I have worked in various corporate roles for many industries varying from Start-up companies to more well known companies such as Turner Broadcasting. In April of 2018 I decided to leave the corporate world to help small local businesses throughout Atlanta and the US. I specialize in helping small businesses understand their companies from an accounting perspective and provide guidance on how to run their finances more efficiently.
- Maintains all accounting in QuickBooks for KBOA.
- Produces a P&L statement each month to the BOD and General Body.
- Manages all accounts receivable and payable.
- Develops the annual budget with President.
- Holds fiduciary responsibilities.
- Familiar with Google Drive is a plus!
Open Chair Positions (1)
- Events and Business Mixer Chair: Organize location and engagement from KBOA members for quarterly KBOA business mixers. Outreach to KBOA members regarding community events and possible participation.
NPU-O Representative (1):
- Attend the NPU-O monthly meetings, on the 4th Tuesday of the Month, and report back to the board of directors as well as the general body.
- Requires 5 hours of meetings.
Open Wine Stroll Committee Positions (2)
- Co-Chair: Assist chair in running meetings and taking point on managing committees from February-October.
- Sponsorship Chair: (Nominee: Sumarie Forrester, Poppa Corn’s Gourmet Popcorn) Lead the efforts in gaining sponsors for the event and manage all benefits from printing, publicity to day of event.
CURRENT BOARD MEMBERS: RETURNING FOR ANOTHER TERM
President: Dano Kirk of Kirkyard Public House (Lanta Gras representative/proxy)
Vice-President: Sandra Mersinger of Snapdragon Designs
Wine Stroll Chair: Randy Brazee of Homes for Atlanta
- Wine Stroll Marketing: Leslie Brashear of Delightful Sites
- Entertainment: Parker Smith of Guitar Shed
Social Media and Marketing: Emily Wimbush of August Designs
(Lanta Gras representative/proxy)
At-Large Board Members:
Dan Wingate of The Pullman (Lanta Gras representative/proxy)
Mehrnush Saadt of Blue Ink Title
Kimia Amin of Avilia Development
- Parker Smith of Guitar Shed (treasurer)
- Jill Wener of Conscious Health Meditation & Wellness (secretary)
WHO CAN RUN? To be eligible to run, your business must be a member of KBOA and representing the business member. The owner of the company does not have to the one to be on the board of directors as long as it is approved by the owner.
- Members or associate members in good standing.
- Members are businesses and property owners that operate within the bounds of Kirkwood.
- Associate members operate outside of the bounds of Kirkwood.
Check your membership here. If you are not listed in the directory, your membership has lapsed.
Executive Officers and Committee Chairs make up the Board of Directors.
Board of Directors Time Commitments: 10 hours per month + Business Mixers & Events
- The executive officers are the President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. The executive officers govern KBOA.
- Committee Chairs vote on major issues and manage each area of expertise. Reports to the Executive Officers and works closely with Director on action items and plans.
Required Monthly Meetings: 5 hours
- Attendance of BOD meetings on the 1st Wednesday of the Month from Noon-1:30pm at the Kirkyard Public House. Lunch is on KBOA.
- Attendance of the General Membership meeting on the 3rd Tuesday of the Month from 11:00am- Noon at KUCC or the Kirkwood Library.
- Attendance at quarterly business mixers.
- Board of Directors may not miss more than 3 meetings total per term.
- Shared Between All Board Members: Attendance of neighborhood association monthly meeting. Estimated 2 hours. Sign up for dates in advance.
Working Sessions & Follow up: 5 hours
2019 Meeting Dates and Events Calendar